Thursday, September 10, 2009

Fusarium and Verticillium Wilts of Potato

Crop of potato may be infected by the fungi that cause Fusarium wilt and Verticillium wilt.
The wilt organisms usually enter the potatoes plants through young roots and then grow into and up the water conducting vessels of the roots and stem.
As the vessels are plugged and collapse, the water supply to the leaves is blocked. With a limited water supply, leaves of plants begin to wilt on sunny days and recover at night.
Wilting may first appear in the top of thepotatoes plants or in the lower leaves.
The process may continue until the entire plant is wilted, stunted, or dead. Although potato plants may recover but are they become usually weak, unthrifty, and produce fruit of low quality.

Symptoms Fusarium Wilt

Fusarium wilt symptoms in potato as slight vein clearing on outer leaflets and drooping of leaf petioles.
Potato tubers may show browning of the vascular ring as well as browning at the stem end and decay where stolons are attached.

Verticillium Wilt

Verticillium wilt symptoms on potato are similar to those of Fusarium wilt. Often no symptoms are seen until the plant is bearing heavily or a dry period occurs.
The bottom leaves become pale, then tips and edges die and leaves finally die and drop off. V-shaped lesions at leaf tips are typical of Verticillium wilt of tomato. Infected plants
usually survive the season but are somewhat stunted and both yields and fruits may be small depending on severity of attack.
In potatoes the pathogen may be part of a complex that includes, among others, the root lesion nematode and the bacterial soft rot organism, resulting in premature plant death (“potato early dying disease”).
Tubers from Verticillium infected plants may show light brown vascular discoloration, usually restricted to the stem end.
Brown streaks in the vascular tissue can be observed well up into the plant, which rapidly collapses and dies.

GRO MAX LLC ACM40 ACE Manure 40 Lb.

Mantis ComposT-Twin

Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

1 comment:

  1. Unfortunately there are a lot of AIDS/Herpes denials on Herbal cures still out there. I did research on them after I was tested HIV/Herpes positive I was so worried am I going to die soon. I continue my search again on herbal remedy for Std, then I found lots of testimony on how Dr Itua Herbal Medicine Cured HIV/Aids, Herpes Virus,Copd, Hepatitis, Diabetes, On websites sharing their testimonies, which made much more sense to me. All the authors pronounce Dr Itua As a man with Good Heart, I pick interest in their testimonies and I contact him about my situation then he gave me procedure how it works, I proceed after one week he courier his Herbal Medicine to me and instruct me on how to drink it for two weeks to cure. I receive His Herbal Medicine so I drank it for two weeks as I was told then after 2 days I go for a test I found out I was cured from HIV/Aids & Herpes Virus, I pay homage to him 2 months ago to his country to celebrate with him on his African festival which he told me it usually happens every year. I know there are lots of (HIV)/Aids&Herpes Virus denials of Herbal Remedy movement the same few doctors and they represent a very small faction of the community. I could have died because I refused Natural Herbs Cures for so long, but luckily, by the grace of God I am alive to tell my story. Contact Info...Whatsapp Number...+2348149277967,Email...drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com/My Instagram Username...avat5634 Just in case you need someone to talk with.

    ReplyDelete